Saturday, October 31, 2015

TLC Readalong Recap: Month 3 - Cress Review

Confession time: I almost forgot to read this month's book. That being said, the October book for the TLC Readalong was Cress by Marissa Meyer.

 
It took me a little longer to get into Cress than it did the other two books, but it eventually drew me in. I thought the pacing of the book was a little off. Some chapters were nothing but action and then the next chapter would be really slow. I liked that we got a more up, close, and personal view of Captain Thorne. In Scarlet, Thorne was just super annoying and I thought he was a character I could do without reading about. His parts in Cress completely changed my mind. He seemed more personable. His being annoying reminded me more and more of a defense mechanism rather than a personality trait. I liked Cress as a character too, but she was harder for me to be interested in. I felt like she was too juvenile at times, which could totally be explained by the raised in isolation thing, but still bothered me anyway.
 
Scarlet and Wolf are still my favorites, but I think Thorne and Cress are growing on me as a pair. I do like them better than Cinder and Kai. I'm not sure what to make of Princess Winter. I feel like her story is going to be really complex but I think Marissa Meyer is more than capable of telling it in an awesome way. All in all, I think this book deserves 4.5 out of 5 stars. It's not quite as good as the other books, but still really great. I cannot wait until Winter comes out! In the meantime, I better get to reading Fairest!

No comments:

Post a Comment