Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Gilded Cage: A Review

Historical Fiction is one of my all-time favorite dramas, so when I saw the opportunity to adopt an ARC of The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray from Emma at Miss Print, I jumped at it!


I really loved the premise of this book; an American farm girl thrust into the trying world of the English aristocracy with some mystery thrown in too! After the synopsis, I had really high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, there isn't much to say other than this book was really disappointing. The writing was good and the characters were believable. The pacing, on the other hand, was a serious problem. Everything seemed to happen at an accelerated rate in this book. The author would introduce a twist and before you could even wrap your head around the details, another twist would be thrown in too. The development of the relationships between characters was unnaturally speedy as well, with little evidence for most of the relationships. Overall, I think the author was too ambitious in trying to fit the story in to as few pages as she tried to. The story could definitely have benefited from a longer book and a slower pace. I think that, because the pacing of the book was very distracting, that I can't give The Gilded Cage as high a rating as it might otherwise deserve; I had to give it 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment