Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Girl Who Fell to Earth Review #AsianLitBingo


I have been loving the #AsianLitBingo challenge. The last couple of books that I chose for it have been really great. So, hot on the heels of Good Enough I decided to pick up The Girl Who Fell to Earth by Sophia Al-Maria to fulfill the West Asian MC category.


Sadly, this book broke my streak of enjoyment. The writing was extremely bland and the main character had little interest in the people around her, which made it hard for me to be interested in anything that was happening either. The book actually starts in Qatar following the father of the main character through his journey to and adventures in America. I actually really enjoyed the first couple of chapters that followed the father (and the mother) in America except for the fact that it glossed over most of the relationship building that would have had to have happened. The story devolves from there in to a boring trudge with a seriously negative tone. Nothing about the story was all that spectacular and, as a result, I recalled very little of the actual plot even seconds after I had finished it. I ended up giving this book 1 out of 5 stars because it was simply that unremarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment